Data Scientist II
Are you looking to join a tech company that can challenge and support you as you take the next step in your career?
3v Geomatics (3vG) provides a rare opportunity to be at the forefront of an emergent technology. We believe in developing everyone’s potential in a fun, passionate, and proactive environment that promotes open communication and a healthy work/life balance. We’re looking for a candidate to be a significant part of future growth because we believe the foundation of 3vG’s success is our employees.
3vG is a fast-growing tech company based in Vancouver, British Columbia, which started in 2007. We employ state-of-the-art InSAR techniques to detect millimetric ground displacement using radar satellites 1000 km away. We strive to create products that will make a positive impact on people around the world.
Our clients are based in a diverse set of industries and applications, including mining, oil & gas, pipelines, landslide prediction and detection, urban planning, and permafrost monitoring. We are constantly updating and refining our image processing tools, processing environment, analysis techniques, and products. 3vG focuses on quality and speed, which involves having a robust technical solution to extract the most relevant information from every dataset.
We need the best people to improve our technology and drive its implementation. Each InSAR application has unique issues, which requires all of our staff to have strong problem-solving skills.
We are looking for individuals to join our Research and Development team with a strong background in InSAR development and analysis, including experience developing processing chains, implementing advanced algorithms, and testing outcomes. You will help develop the next generation of InSAR tools in order to deliver timely and relevant information to our clients. The Data Scientist is expected to make an important contribution to our growing technical capacity and overall business. The position is based in Vancouver, BC.
The successful candidate will have the following responsibilities:
- Drive forward 3vG’s InSAR monitoring capabilities
- Develop and implement InSAR algorithms
- Explore and develop approaches to improve products
- Write efficient and maintainable software suitable for automation and capable of handling large, but well-structured, datasets
- Have a good awareness of the wider InSAR community and cutting-edge research
- Process and analyze InSAR datasets for a diverse set of monitoring projects
- Communicate well, both in a technical capacity and to a lay audience
3vG has a small but exceptional development team – we’re looking for individuals who will have a big impact within the team, and possibly lead initiatives. The successful candidate will have a PhD with a heavy focus on InSAR or other Image/data processing experience, and a technical background in either math, earth sciences, computer science, physics, or engineering. Candidates without advanced degrees will be considered, provided they have a few years of software R&D experience in a relevant field.
The successful candidate will have most of the following skills:
- Strong development knowledge in Python, and / or array programming languages
- Experience in image processing or signal processing
- Strong background in linear algebra
- High proficiency with Linux, especially in a command line environment
- Experience planning and leading initiatives
Knowledge in the following are also desirable and considered a bonus to this role:
- InSAR related research and development
- Experience handling very large image datasets
- Profiling, accelerating, and automating data processing toolchains
- Machine Learning/Deep Learning experience
- Experience implementing algorithms for GPUs
- A background in HPC distributed/parallel computing
The Work Environment
At 3vG, you will be challenged to perform your best while working alongside a strong and supportive team in an open and collaborative environment. Constant learning is the norm and your role will grow as you expand your capabilities. The work environment includes a diverse group of employees from around the world, social events, flexible hours, and a secure area for bike commuters.
What 3vG offers:
- Competitive salary, annual bonus
- Extended health benefits from day one + Annual health spending account.
- Flexible work schedule/hours
- Investment in your career: conferences, professional designations, learning/book funds, internal promotions
- Small company flexibility and autonomy